Elizabeth A.S. Brooke

Crafting, traveling and everything in between.


Two walker/wheelchair bags finished

As flurries fell outside, I sat in the kitchen this afternoon and finished up two more walker/wheelchair bags. Yep, I sat at the kitchen table. No more freezing in the cold basement for me!

Mom and Dad got me a new Brother sewing machine and I pulled it out today and sat at the kitchen table while Chris lounged on the couch reading his new George R.R. Martin book (also thanks to Mom and Dad):

Here’s the bags:

You’ll recognize the bag on the left from this post. I finally got around to sewing the front, back and straps together.

For the second bag, I used remnant material that my friend, Dahna, gave to me. I think it makes a very nice bag and I can’t wait to hand it to a nursing home resident!

I used my new rotary cutter and cutting mat (thanks, again, to my parents!) to cut out the second bag and I loved how everything came out more evenly and how the size of the straps are better proportional to the bag. I asked for the rotary cutter and mat after Rae of Made by Rae said she likes using a mat so that the fabric lies flat and she can cut straighter lines (at least I think it was her who said that).

Since the straps are narrower, I only used one Velcro square. The smaller bag has wider straps, so, therefore, I had to use more Velcro.

What do you think? I bet nursing home residents will be very happy to receive these!

Right now, besides blogging, I’m curled up on the couch, sipping hot cocoa my sweet hubby made and am about to start studying some precal and physiology.

Next up on the sewing agenda is a bag from this book:


Pjs and wheelchair bags

Hiya!

By Wednesday, my official third day off from studying, I’d already done more craft-wise than I’ve done all year.

Do you remember the pjs I made for Chris awhile back? Well, I used more of the same remnant fabric and made me a pair.

There are four pleats in the front and two pleats in the back. The shorts are hard to pull up over the hips, but fit wonderfully once I get them up. I think, next time, I’ll leave off the front and back pleats to see if that’ll make the shorts more comfortable to pull up.

Also, in this post, did you see the button I sewed back onto Chris’ shorts? It fell off within in a week. Turns out the button was broke! I figure I need to find the shorts and attach a new button in the coming week, too. I’ll do that when I’m mending some jeans.

Actually, a lot of jeans. Many of my jeans have holes in the thighs. I’ve researched the various ways to mend jeans and I think I’m just going to go with the traditional patching. The holes are pretty big and I don’t really care for anyone to see my inner thighs or have crazy stitching in that area, so this really is the best option.

But, if you’re not interested in just old fashioned patching, here’s some other ideas: soluble stabilizer and crochet patches. All three of theses are courtesy of Craftzine and Instructables, two sites worth checking out for tips, projects and how-tos.

And, back in October, I started a ministry at church — a knitting, crocheting and sewing ministry. Currently we’re making wheelchair/walker bags for area nursing home residents. I hoped to have several made by Christmas, but haven’t had much luck getting people to participate. Right now I have one lady who always joins me at the meetings every other Saturday (but she sort of has to since she has the key) and three ladies that occasionally show up when they can, but not very often. One lady, whom I’ve only talked to via phone, sent me a really cute bag made out of a kitchen towel.

So far the grand total is 5 bags. I’ve got one crocheted bag made and another cut out and ready to be sewn together. Another piece of fabric has been washed and ironed and is ready for cutting.

Our target goal now is February for Valentine’s Day. If you’re interested, this is the pattern we’re using (or click here for the pdf).