At the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, we started at the visitor center, which is housed in an old courthouse. The park also has many wayside exhibits along the main road.
From there, we stopped at Meeks store, an old general store. Inside, behind glass, a display of coffee and other merchandise were set up behind a counter.
At the McLean’s House, we saw the parlor where General Lee surrendered to General Grant. The house is three stories. The first floor has a warming kitchen and dining area, the second floor is where the master bedroom and parlor are, and the third floor has two bedrooms where the children slept. Behind the house is the kitchen and “servants” quarters.
We visited the Clover Hill Tavern, Guesthouse and Kitchen. The kitchen now houses the park’s bookstore.
The county jail was a short tour. It has rooms on the bottom floor that appear to have served as the jailer’s bedroom and office/kitchen. Upstairs were two rooms that served as jail cells.
There was a school group at the park. The kids divided into two groups — Union and Confederate soldiers. The interpreters taught the kids how to march and lay down their arms (toy rifles).
There were three interpretive guides — two Union soldiers and one Confederate. One guide was portraying an actual Union soldier, Cpl. Fields, who was stationed at the village in Sept. 20, 1865. He had been there since 1861. Fields, who was from Pennsylvania, was stationed along with 60 other soldiers, at Appomattox to keep marshall law.
While eating lunch, we watched two red-bellied woodpeckers fly back and forth across the fields of the park. After eating, we walked around the village with Sidney before heading back to camp.