Elizabeth A.S. Brooke

Crafting, traveling and everything in between.

Pjs and wheelchair bags

Hiya!

By Wednesday, my official third day off from studying, I’d already done more craft-wise than I’ve done all year.

Do you remember the pjs I made for Chris awhile back? Well, I used more of the same remnant fabric and made me a pair.

There are four pleats in the front and two pleats in the back. The shorts are hard to pull up over the hips, but fit wonderfully once I get them up. I think, next time, I’ll leave off the front and back pleats to see if that’ll make the shorts more comfortable to pull up.

Also, in this post, did you see the button I sewed back onto Chris’ shorts? It fell off within in a week. Turns out the button was broke! I figure I need to find the shorts and attach a new button in the coming week, too. I’ll do that when I’m mending some jeans.

Actually, a lot of jeans. Many of my jeans have holes in the thighs. I’ve researched the various ways to mend jeans and I think I’m just going to go with the traditional patching. The holes are pretty big and I don’t really care for anyone to see my inner thighs or have crazy stitching in that area, so this really is the best option.

But, if you’re not interested in just old fashioned patching, here’s some other ideas: soluble stabilizer and crochet patches. All three of theses are courtesy of Craftzine and Instructables, two sites worth checking out for tips, projects and how-tos.

And, back in October, I started a ministry at church — a knitting, crocheting and sewing ministry. Currently we’re making wheelchair/walker bags for area nursing home residents. I hoped to have several made by Christmas, but haven’t had much luck getting people to participate. Right now I have one lady who always joins me at the meetings every other Saturday (but she sort of has to since she has the key) and three ladies that occasionally show up when they can, but not very often. One lady, whom I’ve only talked to via phone, sent me a really cute bag made out of a kitchen towel.

So far the grand total is 5 bags. I’ve got one crocheted bag made and another cut out and ready to be sewn together. Another piece of fabric has been washed and ironed and is ready for cutting.

Our target goal now is February for Valentine’s Day. If you’re interested, this is the pattern we’re using (or click here for the pdf).

Advertisements

Comments are closed.